Friday, April 29, 2005

Ditch Task Manager - Process Explorer to the rescue

Sysinternals has been a great resource for Windows tools and utilities that I've been using for a number of years.

Lately Mark Russinovich has been blogging about the many cool and useful things you can do with Process Explorer.

I've been using Process Explorer in lieu of Task Manager for a while now, and there's really no comparison. Give it a shot, and like me, you probably won't turn back to Task Manager.

The feature I use the most is searching handles. My most common use of this has been to resolve the dreaded "this file is in use" message when a process holds a file or directory open and it's not clear which process it is. Mark has described this process and several others on his blog, so I won't attempt to explain anything since he does a far better job than I could.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another alternative is the small extension for task manager known as (appropriately), "TaskManEx." It's an EXE and dll file, you can run the exe on startup and then it hooks every copy of taskman that you start.

It gives you File, Module, Window, and Handle stats for every process, plus a way to search for open files or modules. It has a few other little tricks too, and lays right on top of taskman... so it comes up as part of ctrl+shift+esc. If you can't find TaskManEx, shoot me an e-mail and I'll zip up the files for you... I know the last time I looked for it it was hard to dig up.

mailuser: braden
domain: mcmail.homeip.net
(I'm also on the m0n0 list if this doesn't work for some reason...)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I prefer AnVir Task Manager.
I think it’s better than Process Explorer.
This thing rocks and is more user friendly!
http://www.anvir.com/

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too prefer anvir task manager free. This is certainly the best app for viewing processes.

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home